Learn to leverage modern methods of communication. Advance your career in advertising, marketing, PR, or promotions with a BS in Communication degree from an accredited online university.
Strong communication skills are highly sought after by today’s employers. In fact, according to the National Association of Colleges and Employers’ Job Outlook 2016, employers rank the ability to communicate verbally as the most important candidate quality.*
Walden’s online BS in Communication program can help you become an effective communicator who can engage audiences, build relationships, and drive results in today’s fast-paced, consumer-driven global economy.
By focusing on the latest industry techniques and strategies, this online bachelor’s degree in communication can prepare you to create targeted social media messaging, develop marketing campaigns, write compelling communications, deliver engaging presentations, and promote ideas that inspire others to take action.
Whether you want to advance in your current career or pursue new options in fields such as advertising, corporate communications, marketing, politics, or public relations, earning your communication degree online can help you gain a powerful competitive advantage—and change your world and the world of those around you.
Highlights of Walden’s BS in Communication Degree
In this program, you will explore the four pillars of communication—oral communication, written communication, interpersonal/team communication, and new media and technology—and study how to:
- Create appealing, strategic communications using various forms of media, including television, internet, radio, newspapers, and magazines.
- Promote products and sell ideas through an array of contemporary techniques that include grass-roots, guerilla, mobile, and viral marketing.
- Resolve conflicts, build relationships, and negotiate effectively.
- Engage audiences by using the latest tools and methods such as social networking, virtual message boards, and microblogging.
- Develop and implement strategic communication plans to address company needs such as crisis management, employee awareness, and shareholder updates.
- Write and speak clearly to enhance your interpersonal and intrapersonal communication skills and to relate better with others.
- Build corporate identity through the use of branding and images.
- Influence behavior and decision making through persuasive messaging.
- Conceptualize, create, and deliver public presentations, including speeches and lectures.
Graduates of the online BS in Communication program will be prepared to:
- Demonstrate effective written communication skills for multicultural and diverse audiences.
- Assess awareness of their own values, dispositions, and communication styles as evident in their interpersonal, group, and mass communications.
- Critically analyze contextual needs to select appropriate communication strategies.
- Successfully collaborate with others in ways that promote personal accountability and mutual respect.
- Competently employ use of digital communication in professional settings.
- Utilize a systems perspective to optimize organizational, community, and global communication.
- Demonstrate ethical, socially aware strategies in their communications with both local and far-reaching audiences.
Find detailed information for this program, including possible occupations, completion rate, program costs, and median student loan debt.
*National Association of Colleges and Employers, “Employers: Verbal Communication Most Important Candidate Skill,” on the internet at www.naceweb.org/career-readiness/competencies/employers-verbal-communication-most-important-candidate-skill/.