General Program (Competency-Based)
In this competency-based education experience rather than progressing toward your degree course by course, you prove your knowledge by completing competencies.
Competencies are skills, knowledge, and abilities that students use to demonstrate their progress. For each degree, a series of competencies that students need to be successful in for their careers is identified. By completing all the competencies included within a degree program, students demonstrate that they have acquired skills and knowledge specifically identified by leaders in their field, and are able to apply them immediately in their work lives.
Mastery of competencies is proven through a variety of assessments, such as selected responses, short answers, or work products.
The Master of Healthcare Administration program competencies are grouped within areas of expertise.
Foundations of Healthcare Administration (MMHA 6000):
- HE001 Trends in Healthcare Administration: Explain the implications of current trends for healthcare administrators, managers, and leaders.
- HE006 Commitment to Professional Development and Lifelong Learning: Create a professional development plan that demonstrates a commitment to lifelong learning and professional development.
Contemporary Topics in U.S. Healthcare Delivery (MMHA 6050):
- HE002 History of the US Healthcare System: Explain how historic forces have shaped the present-day healthcare system.
- HE003 Delivery of Services: Explain the healthcare delivery system in the United States.
- HE004 Healthcare Funding in the U.S.: Explain how healthcare in the United States is funded.
- HE005 Key Drivers of Change: Analyze the impact of societal, business, and global trends on the healthcare industry.
Principles of Population Health in Healthcare Administration (MMHA 6200):
- HE007 Disease Distribution and Management: Evaluate community health needs and data about disease distribution to make decisions regarding disease management.
- HE008 Global Health Issues: Analyze the impact of global health issues on healthcare management
- HE009 Population Health Management: Develop initiatives in collaboration with public health and community-based organizations to improve the health of the population.
Law, Ethics, and Policy in Healthcare Administration (MMHA 6300):
- LE001 Legal Requirements and Ethics: Summarize legal mandates and ethical principles to address complex challenges, manage risk, and advance organizational integrity.
- LE002 Health Care Policy: Analyze the healthcare policymaking process for improving the health status of populations.
- LE003 Adapting Internal Policies and Practices: Adapt internal policies and practices to align with changes to healthcare laws and regulations.
- LE004 Analyzing Polices from Diverse Perspectives: Analyze a policy from diverse perspectives held by policymakers, interest groups, healthcare administrators, and other stakeholders to assess impact on an organization.
Healthcare Financial Management and Economics (MMHA 6400):
- FM004 Economic Concepts in the Health Care Industry: Apply key economic concepts and theories in the healthcare context.
- FM005 Economic Characteristics of the Healthcare Industry: Apply economic concepts to make recommendations for organizational decisions.
- FM006 Conduct an Operational Analysis: Conduct operational analyses to ensure operational efficiency and financial viability.
- FM007 Analyze Financial Data: Make recommendations for organizational decisions based on analyses of financial data.
Human Resource Management and Organizational Development and Leadership for Healthcare Administrators (MMHA 6500):
- HR001 Aligning Workforce Capacity: Evaluate organizational values and goals in order to align the workforce and deliver cost-effective, high-quality care.
- HR002 Recruitment and Selection: Evaluate recruitment, selection, and dismissal practices for healthcare professionals.
- HR003 Professional Development and Retention: Evaluate a healthcare organization’s practices for retaining talent and providing professional development and recommend strategies for improvement.
- HR004 Organizational Structure, Dynamics, and Culture: Assess the effectiveness of organizational structures in furthering an organization’s ability to achieve its vision and goals.
- HR005 Team Building and Conflict Management: Evaluate collaborative, team-building, and conflict-management strategies when leading interprofessional teams.
- HR006 Leadership, Systems Thinking, and Change Management: Evaluate principles of effective leadership, systems thinking, and change management to address healthcare transformation, innovation, and accountability.
Healthcare Informatics and Technology Management (MMHA 6600):
- OM008 Health Information Technology: Explain the uses of administrative and clinical health information technology and integrated community networks and their role in the delivery of care.
- OM009 Data-Driven Decision Making: Evaluate clinical and administrative data to support evidence-based decisions that affect healthcare organizations and patient care.
- OM010 Health Information Systems: Recommend the acquisition, implementation, and evaluation of clinical and administrative health information systems.
- OM011 Protecting Patient Data: Recommend strategies to ensure that policies and processes protect the privacy, confidentiality, security, and integrity of patient data.
Healthcare Operations Management (MMHA 6700):
- OM005 Operational Resources and Productivity: Evaluate productivity against established benchmarks and recommend changes to improve patient safety metrics.
- OM006 Process Improvement and Quality: Make recommendations to improve quality in healthcare organizations based on analyses of current processes.
- OM007 Project Management: Plan complex projects using project management tools and techniques to achieve resource optimization and sustainability.
Marketing Management and Business Communications for Healthcare Administrators (MMHA 6800):
- FM001 Marketing Principles: Identify the basic principles of marketing and their unique application in healthcare organizations.
- FM002 Marketing Strategies: Evaluate marketing strategies to ensure they enhance the organization’s competitive position, align with its mission, and demonstrate social responsibility.
- FM003 Marketing Opportunities and Challenges: Analyze an organization’s marketing and management environment and identify the primary marketing opportunities and challenges facing the organization.
Healthcare Quality Management (MMHA 6900):
- OM001 Patient Safety and Quality of Services: Explain the history and current state of patient safety and quality of services in healthcare.
- OM002 Organizational Compliance and Regulatory Mandates: Evaluate organizational compliance with regulatory mandates for healthcare quality and safety.
- OM003 Patient Experience and Culturally Sensitive, Patient-Centered Care: Apply best practices to provide an outstanding patient experience, including customer service-focused, culturally sensitive, and patient-centered care.
- OM004 Improving Patient Safety and Quality of Services: Evaluate compliance with best practices and industry standards for patient safety and quality of healthcare services and provide recommendations for improvement.
Strategic Planning in Healthcare Administration (MMHA 6999):
- FM008 Strategic Planning Process: Explain the strategic planning process and the roles of internal stakeholders.
- FM009 SWOT Analysis: Evaluate the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats related to a healthcare organization.
- FM010 Strategic Planning: Develop an integrated strategic plan to address a challenge or opportunity faced by a healthcare organization.